Before the trip..

How can you prepare for your trip to Albania?

Preparing to travel to Albania

Before you travel, you should check at least these things:

  • Check out the Foreign Ministry’s travel bulletins.
  • Make a travel report to the State Department.
  • Check the status of your travel insurance and update it if necessary.
  • It is a good idea to check the coverage of your vaccinations well in advance of your trip. At least tetanus and hepatitis vaccines are needed in Albania.
  • Check the validity of your passport. The passport must be valid for another 3 months after arrival in Albania. Note. Finnish citizens do not need a visa for visits lasting less than 90 days.
  • A child under the age of 18 only needs a special certificate at the border check when traveling with another parent,
    • If the child has a different surname than the parents or the child has only the surname of the other parent or the child is traveling with non-parents.
    • If you are under the age of 18 traveling with both parents and everyone has the same last name, no certificate is required.
  • Take copies or pictures of your documents (passport, visa, travel tickets, driving and credit cards) and keep them in a different place than the originals.
  • Keep medicines in hand luggage in their original packaging and take your prescriptions with you. This will allow you to prove that the medicines are yours, if needed. Depending on the situation, consider whether you need a list of your medicines in English, signed by your doctor.
  • Check that your debit card works at your destination.
  • Albania does quite well with a debit card. You usually need cash at gas stations and restaurants. Checks can be exchanged in Albania at currency exchange points. The most affordable courses are at exchange points in slightly more remote downtown areas.

Planning a car trip to Albania?

  • Take care of your car.
  • The car must have official EU plates.
  • Check the coverage of your car insurance and get a Green Card.
  • Check that the car has the technical part of the registration certificate.
  • If the car is driven by someone other than the car owner, give him or her a power of attorney to use the car abroad. If the car is owned by a finance company, ask for a power of attorney from the finance company.
  • If the car is owned by a finance company, apply for an export permit from your finance company.

According to the car:

  • extinguisher
  • attention vests
  • first aid kit
  • warning triangle
  • ring wedges from all walks of life – there is conflicting information about their mandatory nature.